lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Looking for Java/Javascript Lynx

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Looking for Java/Javascript Lynx
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 22:36:00 -0500 (EST)

> > Ummm.... Could you give me an example of a Java Applet that you need to
> > use that would work on a text-only terminal?

<snip>
> there is one Java-related textual item that I'd be
               ^^^^
> thrilled if Lynx could handle.
>
> On the "Hotmail" system (http://www,hotmail.com) that I use when
> travelling--and often access through public terminals running Lynx--a
> number of the textual features make use of JavaScript.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^

Standard bit of confusion, started by (your friends and mine!) the
marketing clods at NetScape.  JavaScript was originally named LiveScript,
and the name change was put in at the very last minute for reasons best
not gotten into.  The two languages were not created by the same company
and really have nothing in common except the letters j-a-v-a.

So, your confusion is certainly understandable.  I'll have a look at the
hotmail site tonight and see what's going on.  And if you run into any
useful text-based applets, be sure to let me know.

Thanks for the input!

Barry
(Currently at 6225 words and wondering if Hunter S. Thompson ever felt
like this....)

;
;