lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV JavaScript Announcement

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: LYNX-DEV JavaScript Announcement
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 21:34:58 -0500 (EST)

I was hoping to put this off, but perhaps there is sufficient interest on
the list to warrant announcing this just a *little* prematurely....

My work on JavaScript/ECMAScript/BarryScript may be found at

        http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~rountree/BarryScript/

        (There isn't a page there -- just the files.)

This is NOT conformant JavaScript.
This is NOT object-oriented (yet).
Function calls MAY work by the end of the evening.
There are NO hooks to lynx yet.
There isn't even a Document.write() -- you have been warned.

If you're on speaking terms with flex and bison and want to have a look,
this might be meaningful and even interesting.  Of course, those with a
little less experiece (or none) and a healthy curiosity might find the
details of language implementation amusing.  Or you can just critique my
(unfinished, unspellchecked) project defense.

I haven't gotten a chance to stick the GPL notification on the files, but
I will.  The grammar will eventually be based entirely on the ECMA
standard, where copyright has been explicitly waived.  In short, zero
copywrite problems.

If anyone would like to work on hooking up BarryScript to Lynx (laura?),
I'd love to talk to you.

I believe it was Spider Robinson who, after finishing yet another cruddy
science fiction novel, said to himself, "*I* can write better than *this*
turnip." and proceeded to do just that.  If you want to start from scratch
(hey, how hard could it be?) I'll be quite happy to help in any way I can.
This project was designed as a learning experience, and production-quality
code was emphatically *not* the point.  I've learned, I'll be graduating,
and I plan to keep plugging away on this or someone else's implementation
for the forseeable future.

That'll do it for now.

Barry Rountree

"All bad poems are sincere."  --Oscar Wilde, as quoted by Harold Bloom

;
;