lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Small, simple feature request

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Small, simple feature request
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:35:40 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Wed Nov 26 22:19:22 1997
> From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Small, simple feature request
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 23:19:41 -0600 (CST)
> Sender: address@hidden
>
> You (Heikki Kantola) wrote:
> > Could it be possible to make Lynx to print out the lynx.cfg location
> > with "-version"-option (or invent totally new option to print out
> > compile time definitions)? Of course I can find out where the config=20
> > file is with "-trace" but that also prints so much other stuff, that
> > it needs some effort to spot out the information you wanted.
>
> Greetings. Last resort, of course, is the unix "strings" command...
> followed by a "grep" :-)
>
> % strings /usr/bin/lynx | grep "lynx.cfg"
>
> Works with those mysterious "core" files you find as well.. :-)
>
> Take care.

Hey, it is a reasonable request, especially since SO MUCH
of how lynx works is via the compile-time defs -- and
the stuff in the local file too.

Like, when I have a problem with lynx, the first
question people (here) have is "what version",
and (implicitly) "how did you compile it?",
"what is in your cfg"?.

Now, I cannot include the .cfg in the email
to lynx dev because it is SO HUGE.  Ok, I could
egrep -v the comments, but then what about the
compile-time stuff?

It would be a good thing and a help to lynx-dev
bug-fixers (thank god they exist!) if there
was a command (not a switch) that produced
a "page" (that we would "p"rint to file)
and then include THAT in the email.

(why not a switch: because the user could
have changed some values at runtime -- what
you want to see is the CURRENT values as of
the time of his problem).

That way the format would always be the same,
you'd (lynx-dev) would know just where to look
for each item -- would really be a win.

Some clever macro around the left side
of each decl of such variable should
enable automation of storing the name and
value in a table (array, actually several
parallel ones) to print out the stuff ---
maybe....

Anyway, the standard form for the info would
be really nice for this mail-list's use.

(just my usual 2 bits)