lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV proxy and 'z'apped transfer

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV proxy and 'z'apped transfer
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 02:58:36 -0600 (CST)

[Leonid Pauzner:]

                        -----
> > We have proxy cache and sometimes I use 'z' to save my time
> > if the file looks too long and/or the connection too slow.
> > Later, I check the URL and get it from cache,
> > since the background transfer non stopped.
> >
> > Does the tweak close such opportunity?

Note the underlined word: the only difference is for a 'z' that occurs
before Lynx has received the status line of the response.  For 'z' typed
later, after Lynx has already read something, there is no difference -
Lynx was already closing the connection in that case (as it should).

> For the CERN proxy, it is better if the connection IS closed; it will
> lower the priority of the process and complete any cacheable fetch in
> the background.  [...]

And for squid, see the "quick_abort" configuration setting.
But again, it's not really relevant for this change: the tweak is
a bug fix, without it there was a file descriptor leak.

      Klaus