lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV quote.yahoo.com, and cookies in general

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV quote.yahoo.com, and cookies in general
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 11:21:31 -0500

Matt, sorry I was away from the list for a few days - I might have been
able to save you some grief.

> I don't know!  I really think there's some problem on either end that is
> *not* cookie related.  I sent feedback regarding the inability to log in with
> Lynx and that I thought I was given an incorrect error message since Lynx
> does support cookies...

> Speaking of supporting cookies, is there some really really complex reason
> why Lynx doesn't support cookies across sessions?  Especially after
> reading "Learning Perl" and "CGI Programming on the World Wide Web", saving
> the cookies out and reading them back in would seem to be a cinch in Perl.

Interestingly enough, I suspect that the answer to your first problem is
in your second question.  When you sign up for a yahoo account, you get
a login cookie.  Each future access to the yahoo login looks for that
cookie.  But since lynx doesn't currently support persistent cookies (aka
the cookie jar) yahoo doesn't find it, and thus sends you off to the page
telling you why your browser needs to support cookies.  They need to update
that page to indicate that your browser needs to support the SAVING of
cookies between sessions...