lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1297/msg00031.html

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1297/msg00031.html
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 14:26:44 -0800 (PST)

KERMIT does it -- allow resumed downloads.

But that's because kermit has access (at disk "seek" speeds)
to the ENTIRE file -- so it can via a single seek
get to the middle or 2/3 throuthe thing instantly.

Not so on a download from some OTHER computer, where
you have NO friendly software to communicate with --
so you'd have to READ that entire foreign file across
the file just to get to the point where it stopped
downloading.

What DOES make sense is using a "shell account" isp,
then you download super-fast TO THAT machine, ie
where your shell acct is.  THEN you use something
like KERMIT to download from there to your
machine (slowly, via modem), and for THAT you CAN
resume crashed connection, etc.