lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV two curiosities from IETF HTTP session.

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV two curiosities from IETF HTTP session.
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:01:42 -0500 (EST)

Two issues came up in today's session of the HTTP 1.1 WG that
left me curious.  Not that any major decisions hang on the
answers, but:

Lynx came up when the fellow from MicroSoft quipped regarding the
305 proxy redirection message "Lynx has implemented it."

Later it appeared he meant to be humorous, as it was left as an
open question.

The Conventional Wisdom in the meeting is that 305 is broken and
306 didn't fix it.  The group is headed in the direction that
this function will not be present in the "Draft Standard" version
of 1.1.

Going, going...

Second point:  CommentURL on cookies.  General tenor of comment
from commercial implementors was that with excellent orienteering
skills one would be able to unearth this thing and eventually
follow it.  Not in any way that was easy or obvious.  I was just
curious if Lynx would be more aggressive about offering the user
the option to follow this reference to a discussion of site
standards for the user of cookies.

-- Al in DC