lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Is there a keystroke to add the current URL to the goto buf

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Is there a keystroke to add the current URL to the goto buffer?
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:39:45 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what address@hidden said:
Larry>
> > > Sometimes I find links which I would like to slightly modify
> > > to try for a home page etc.  If the URL wraps, it becomes cumbersome
> > > to cut and paste or try to type in the url.
> > > Is there a way to get the URL into the goto buffer directly so that
> > > I could then edit it?

Philip>
> > i assume the answer is No,
> > or it would be listed in the help file for the line editor.
> > However, it would certainly be useful to have a command in the line editor
> > "copy URL from current link" or even "from link # n":
> > how easy would it be to add it to the line editor?

Brad>
> Would you get the desired effect by following the link to the page with
> the "almost right" URL, then pressing "G" (capital G) which puts the
> current URL in the goto buffer ready for editing?

Al...

That works if the URL is OK.  You can even stop page loading with
'z' and proceed to fix the URL you then get with 'G'.  But this
fails if the URL is broken.  The place where it would be really
nice to have what Larry mentioned is for example with the search
results out of the Washington Post site where the search engine
returns a broken URL with "../" in inappropriate places.  In this
case trying to go to the broken reference does not leave the
broken reference in the "current document URL" for retrieval
with 'G' and repair (I believe).

This is creating a mod to cover the screw-ups of others, if you
want to look at it that way, but it could as easily be viewed as
logical completeness.  The Information Page gives both the
current doc and the queued-up "next" doc in the current link.
The above case is not the only time it would be nice to have the
"next doc" URL easily loadable into position as an editable draft
of the g)o-to-URL argument.

But unless some volunteer springs out of the woodwork, I think we
are looking at 2.9 wishlist building with this one.

-- Al Gilman