lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Older HTTP Versions

From: Mark Mentovai
Subject: LYNX-DEV Older HTTP Versions
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:38:23 -0500

Hi again...

We know that Lynx works correctly when it's "talking HTTP0" - after it
tries to speak HTTP/1.0 but the server doesn't understand it.  There's one
thing that's missing, though, that used to work: when Lynx sends a HTTP/1.0
request, and the server sends back something like a HTTP/1.0 error 400 (Bad
Request), Lynx used to try to fetch the document again with "HTTP0" - a
simple request.  Now, it doesn't do that.

Try http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/ - that server seems to do something
silly that 2.7.1 doesn't.  Here's the relevant stuff out of the trace logs.

------------------------- 2.7.1 -------------------------
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP: WRITE delivered OK
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
HTTP: Trying to read 1023
HTTP: Read 45
Read 45 bytes of data.
HTTP: Rx: HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
HTTP: Scanned 2 fields from line_buffer
--- Talking HTTP1.

Alert!: HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request

HTFormat: Constructing stream stack for www/mime to www/present
StreamStack: found weak wildcard match: www/present
StreamStack: found exact match: www/mime
HTMIME:
400 Bad Request

HTTP: Trying again with HTTP0 request.
Retrying as HTTP0 request.
------------------------- 2.7.1 -------------------------

------------------------- 2.7.1ac-0.100 -------------------------
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP: WRITE delivered OK
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
HTTP: Trying to read 1023
HTTP: Read 45
Read 45 bytes of data.
HTTP: Rx: HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
HTTP: Scanned 2 fields from line_buffer
--- Talking HTTP1.

Alert!: HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request

HTFormat: Constructing stream stack for www/mime to www/present
HTFormat: Looking up presentation for www/mime to www/present
StreamStack: found weak wildcard match: www/present
FindPresentation: found exact match: www/mime
StreamStack: found exact match: www/mime
HTMIME:
400 Bad Request

Data transfer complete
HTAccess:  status=29997
HTAccess: `http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/' has been accessed.

It looks to me like Lynx has fooled itself into thinking that everything's
OK, when in fact the document couldn't be fetched.

-Mox

--
Mark Mentovai
address@hidden