lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Patch to LYBookmark 2-7-1

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Patch to LYBookmark 2-7-1
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 20:23:28 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > Please, what is this "BASE64" encoding (I understand
> > uuencode), and how does one on UNIX (eg solaris)
> > read the thing.  Thanks.
> "BASE64" is mime encoding (a 64-character code).  There's a standalone
> program "uudeview" which works reasonably well.  (Or you could install
> mime, which may be overkill - it is/was on a site at ATT).

One option is to use a standalone program.  I have found mpack/munpack
to work better than uudeview.  It is available at
"ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/mpack";.  The other option is to use a
MIME-aware mail program, such as pine, which will automatically use
metamail to decode attachments.  For simplicity (if you are willing to
edit out all non-encoded material), you can use the mmencode(mimencode)
filter which is included in the metamail distribution.

                          Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)