lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx installation problem

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx installation problem
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 10:36:48 -0500 (EST)

> It seams that configure determined that /usr/sbin/install should be used for
> installing software, but failed to account for the way this version works. I
> can't seem to see another version either.
>
> Basically, make install does the following:
>
>   /usr/sbin/install -s -m 755 lynx /usr/local/bin/lynx
>
> but man install says that if given the final arguement, it should be a
> directory and not a file name, and is used to search for an existing file to
> install over. If none is found, install failes. I finally determined that the
> expected command should be:
>
>   /usr/sbin/install -s -m 755 -f /usr/local/bin lynx /usr/local/bin/
ok (a trailing slash won't hurt)

> where the -f /usr/local/bin tells it to force installation there. Actually,
> the final /usr/local/bin is not needed, so it could be shortened to:
>
>   /usr/sbin/install -s -m 755 -f /usr/local/bin lynx
>
> Now, the question arises, why is the install on this system so out of tune
> with the expectations of the makefile and configure? If this problem is
> common to Solaris 2.5.1, then such systems would not be able to install lynx
> using the makefile. Not a good thing!
autoconf's expecting a bsd-compatible install script.  I assume that it's
not detecting that the 2.5.1 install isn't.  (will try to investigate more).

you can workaround by setting $INSTALL to the path of the install* script
in the lynx distribution (perhaps it's not finding that because "." isn't
in your path, or perhaps it doesn't see that 2.5.1's install doesn't work --
I don't know).  I probably didn't notice it because I've (at work) a
bsd-compatible install ahead of the vendor's install.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden