lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV DOS bugs for ac-0.104

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DOS bugs for ac-0.104
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 17:32:48 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> If you're writing while curses is active, it should (SVr4 and SVr3) have
> set the terminal mode so that OCRNL is off, making this behavior.  (It's
> normal).  But why are you using a printf?

I don't think that curses is active since stop_curses() is invoked just
before the printf(SPAWNING_MSG).  The behavior was different several
versions ago, without any change in this code.  I believe that Wayne
made a change to make stdout binary rather than text mode, which may
have changed how DOS handles \n.

I used printf since I didn't know how else to get the carriage return
and message in the correct place. The old code with system("echo ...")
invokes "echo" which may vary from system to system. It may invoke the
internal echo from DOS's command.com, but if an external echo command
is present, I thought that system would invoke this in preference to
the internal command (I looked, but couldn't find the documentation
for this). I am not sure that the behaviors of all the possible echo
commands are consistent in regard to handling \r, and I am not sure
about the echo commands on the DOS shells other than command.com.

As I have mentioned before, I really don't know C programming.  What is
the preferred way of putting the message on the screen?

                                 Doug

__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)