lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SSL hooks for Lynx v2.7.2

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSL hooks for Lynx v2.7.2
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 22:11:28 +0000 (GMT)

>       The SSL hook replacement C files are:
>
>        HTAAUtils.c, HTFormat.c, HTNews.c and HTTP.c

What clause in the GPL is allowing you to impose redistribution
restrictions on these?   I could accept patches, but I think it is
an open question as to whether the GPL clause which permits restrictions
on intellectual property grounds can be generalised to this case.  In
any case, that clause is essentially there to forbid distribution in the
USA rather than to forbid distribution everywhere else.  (I'm assuming
that you haven't done a clean room re-implementation of these modules.)

> SSLeay with Lynx in the US should not be a problem (i.e., beyond the
> US restrictions on export, and requirements of the RSA patent).

Note that these patents make the executable outside the GPL and therefore
not distributable, i.e. at best it is only possible to use it for the
personal use of the person who built the executable (the GPL doesn't
allow a "no commercial use" restriction, which would be needed to allow
distribution under the patents).