lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 11:34:55 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Tue Jan  6 09:01:03 1998
> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:18:08 -0500 (EST)
> From: Andrew Kuchling <address@hidden>
>
>       Ah... I was thinking of the problems of writing code that
> would work on 286-class machines.  DPMI programs require a 386 or
> higher processor, right?  So if we're already restricting the port to
> 386 or higher, then maintaining a DOS port isn't that much of a
> problem; you'd have lots of memory, 32-bit code, etc.

Uh, if we do a total rewrite, we might have to
abandon those small machines for THAT version,
which would appear in, what, two years?

With monitor-less machines of HIGH power now
appearing for $800 or so (HP just announced one),
and cheap cheap cheap memory, it might just be the
time to do this.

And, since lynx is ascii oriented (well, not
mouse-oriented), if there are LOTS of small
machines at, say, some university in Russia
or somewhere, can't they go purchase ONE modern
machine, put a java-lynx on it, and have the
dos-machines access the net THROUGH IT -- just
the way I myself do via my ISP netcom.com's
"shell account" (log in as in old-fashioned time-sharing,
run csh or bash or whatever..., and run LYNX within
that, or trn, etc).

I mean, the 286-people don't HAVE to be totally
out of luck with a java-lynx -- if for every
50 or 100 or so there is a "lynx server" or
just plain t/s system via Sun or whatever unix,
that they can dial into or through.