lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV My problems

From: Charles Clausen
Subject: LYNX-DEV My problems
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:46:08 -0800 (PST)

A new owner has taken over my internet server's operation, and they are
extensively revising their software. Somehow, in the process, they have
botched up my old-style Linux connection, so that the Lynx browser no
longer operates properly.

My computer equipment is too primitive to handle a PPP connection, but
fortunately my service provider has continued to make a Linux connection
available to me over the past two years - all the internet software is on
my provider's computer, rather than on my own.

For some reason, in the process of revising their software, the new owner
has disabled the connection I used to have to their web home page and Lynx
browser, and I am connected to your NYU website. When I attempt to browse
from your website, I get to my intended destination, but the text is
garbled and mixed with remnants of text from your website, and totally
unworkable.

I spoke to one of my provider's software hackers, and he said that they
were having problems working all the bugs worked out of their new
configuration, and that changes in one area risked crashing functions in
other areas. He said he would eventually get around to fixing my Lynx
browser situation. His implication was that fixing it immediately
presented major problems.

However, I wonder if this might not be something that could be fixed by
just resetting a few simple parameters, or something like that? Anyway, I
just wondered if there was anything you could tell me that I could tell
them that could get me back on the web.

Thanks a bunch for your attention to this!

Charles Clausen, Grants Pass, OR       address@hidden