lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV java, javascript and extension languages

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV java, javascript and extension languages
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 07:07:52 -0500 (EST)

> > Klaus around.  We've got (with ac #105) a version that could be released in
> > 2-3 weeks.  That's if we stop adding new features, concentrate on bug fixes
>
> Very much in favor of concentrating only on bug fixes and putting out a
> version.  With one reservation ...
right - that was why I brought it up

> > and build issues.  (There's the issue of Fote vs Klaus on the "internal
> > links"
> > which apparently no one but them pays any attention to).
>
> Not true, I for one am keenly interested.  However, at the same time, I
> would be the first to admit that I do not completely understand the
> consequences of Klaus' implementation.  I know, despite whatever opinion
> Fote may have, that Klaus himself has (had) slight reservations and is
> (was) open to discussion and constructive argument on the point.
>
> I had assumed that the following change documented in CHANGES.new was
> enough to reconcile their differences:
> "
> 1997-10-26
> * If compiled with -DDONT_TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS, behavior with respect to
>   internal links as in FM's code. - KW
I'll add a configure-script option for this, then, so we can accommodate it.
(If anyone has a webpage in mind for testing it, that'd be useful also:
making a webpage by reading the code is a little more than I had in mind ;-)

> ".
> If with this compile-time option, assuming of course that it is working
> as Klaus intended, is not enough to allow Fote to "seriously consider using
> the develpment code", i.e., give it his seal of approval, then I for one
> believe this needs further work.  I realize the clash of personalities is
> a rough storm to get over, but as I've stated again and again, a true and
> COMPLETE reconciliation is a paramount prerequisite to issuing a new
> version, and much more important than bug fixes.
>
> Putting out a new version without Fote's blessing would be like leaving
> a new-born baby on a bench in a train station in the middle of January.
more like the end of January...

but without seeing it in operation (or not), I'm undecided.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden