lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2-7-2 with web500gw

From: Ric Miller ACNS
Subject: LYNX-DEV Bug in Lynx 2-7-2 with web500gw
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 16:41:04 -0700 (MST)

I am currently running lynx2-5 with non of the problems mentioned below:

After installing lynx 2-7-2 the following url

  http://directory.colostate.edu:1411/o=Colorado State University, c=US

returns

| X.500 - WWW Error: Server error
|
|   An error occurred while searching X.500
|
|          The error code was 9:
|          Unknown error.
|
|   No additional information is available.Please report unexpected
|   errors/bugs to your administrator.

This url gives no error with lynx 2-5.

If I change the url to

  http://directory.colostate.edu:1411/o=Colorado%20State%20University, c=US

It brings up the starting LDAP gateway page delivered by  web500gw.   Using
the  =  to  check  out the urls shows that in the first case the blanks are
ignored and

      "o=Colorado State University" becomes "o=ColoradoStateUniversity".

In addition, this page is formatted differently between, 2-5 and 2-7-2.
The page looks correct at 2-5 as the search box appears at the top:
|                  Colorado State University LDAP Gateway
|
|  [Help]
|  Move upwards to
|    * The World
|    * USA
|
|  Subtree search in Colorado State University:
|         ____________________ Do search Clear input
|

|    _________________________________________________________________
|
|                          Colorado State University
|
|  Name
|         Colorado State University
|
|    _________________________________________________________________
|
|  Organizational Units
|
|       Faculty/Staff
|
|       Student

At 2-7-2 THE SEARCH BOX APPEARS AT THE BOTTOM(this is not correct).
|                   Colorado State University LDAP Gateway
|
|  [Help]
|
|                          Colorado State University
|
|  Name: Colorado State University
|    _________________________________________________________________
|
|  Organizational Units
|
|       Faculty/Staff
|
|       Student
|
|  Move upwards to The World, USA
|
|  Subtree search in Colorado State University:
|         ____________________ Do search Clear input

I can change my links to use %20 instead of blanks but I do not  understand
why  the search box is moved to the bottom.  This appears to have something
to do with the web500gw detecting what kind of client is talking to it  and
changing the source html accordingly?

   Ric Miller (address@hidden)
   Academic Computing & Networking Services