lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: LENX-DEV Charset names in ac105

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: LENX-DEV Charset names in ac105
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 11:06:23 -0500 (EST)

Leonid Pauzner <address@hidden> wrote:
>I just check ac108,
>there is a light mess of charset names against 2.7.2 found,
>this is because ac108 still implement several charsets
>from LYCharSet.c and GridText.c but not from unicode staff.
>
>In ac 108 we may find "IBM PC codepage 850" and "DosLatin1 (cp850)"
>or even both the same time (in lynx.cfg!).
>["IBM PC codepage 850" really work].
>
>Most staff say "x-next" while the other use "next" (in userdefs.h and
>next_uni.tbl), ["x-next" really working internal name].

        The internal MIME names are set in the foo_uni.tbl files.  It's
next and macintosh, not x-next and x-macintosh, in Lynx v2.7.2, even
though neither is registered with IANA.  Lynx v2.7.2 accepts x-next,
nextstep and x-nextstep as synonyms for next, and mac-roman and
x-mac-roman as synonyms for macintosh.  If an x- is present in the
internal MIME name, Lynx does not include a charset parameter in the
Content-Type header of mailings, and a number of mailers will add
iso-8859-1 if they detect 8-bit characters and no charset parameter
was included, so it seemed the lesser of two evils to use next and
macintosh, even though they haven't been registered.

        The devel code uses x-next and macintosh as the internal
MIME names, and is inconsistent in that respect, both with itself
and Lynx v2.7.2.

        Regarding the issue of "versions" which Jim raised through
inappropriate wording in his post about the to-do list, which caused
Larry to sigh, from my perspective there is a v2.7.2 "release", and
development code which is being field tested for a v2.8 release.

                                Fote