lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ALT text alignment problem (lynx 2.7.1ac-0.108 and earlier

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ALT text alignment problem (lynx 2.7.1ac-0.108 and earlier versions)
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 12:40:50 -0500 (EST)

Jason White <address@hidden> wrote:
>Under certain circumstances, which I have not precisely identified, the
>ALT text associated with an image appears right next to the following word
>in the document, without any intervening space. This situation is
>confusing to those who use speech synthesizers and screen access software
>as an interface to lynx. The problem can be manifested by visiting
>http://www.vicnet.net.au/websites/

        The "circumstance" is that the IMG element is within Anchor
content, and has been handled that way since v2.4.  The author of that
document is using an image as a bullet, and including it in the Anchor
content instead of preceding it, plus using "Arrow" as the ALT, instead
something like "*" or "->".

        The problems with ALTs for Lynx are going to escalate rapidly,
because the latest versions of the Big Two browsers have started using
ALTs as tooltips for GUIs.  I'm still thinking about what to do about
it in Lynx, and won't be around for a while to read lynx-dev discussion
about it, but will catch up the next time I'm in a position to log in
here.

                                Fote