lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Broswer...

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Broswer...
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:50:15 -0500 (EST)

980126 Mack Ackeret wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Robin Hamman wrote:
> >I'm writing an article for The Guardian (UK daily) about the use
> > of "retro" browsers such as lynx and mosaic. I need a copy of Lynx
> > so that I can begin viewing the pages of today thr' the eyes of yesterday.

Lynx 2-7-2 was released 980101 & Lynx 2-8 is awaited shortly:
they try to keep upto date with latest Internet developments;
goto  lynx.browser.org/  for full information.

DO tell the Guardian all about Lynx!!
it's got a trendy progressive readership,
some of whom would be keen converts if they learnt about the True Way ...

> >I'm a PhD student studying barriers to internet access
> >and would like to take Lynx with me on a trip to Africa
> >where I will teaching people to use the net and build on it.
> >I want to try out a number of browser types with my students there.

there's been a lot of discussion on lynx-dev about access for the blind
-- see the Archive at  www.flora.org/lynx-dev/  --
& i have colleagues who have been trying to spread access eg in Kenya.
give us more details of your plans as you formulate them.

> Lynx is not a "retro" browser, and it has nothing to do with "yesterday".
> What you are saying is very offensive.

let's just keep the temperature down?
Mr Hamman is a newcomer to the subject who deserves patient instruction
& may well be able to help quite a few people get better Internet access.