lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: msg00160.html

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: msg00160.html
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 09:38:38 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Doug Kaufman wrote:

[on RAWDOSKEYHACK]

> Since this code wasn't written by me, I may be misinterpreting how it
> works.  I will send a copy of this email to the lynx-dev list.  Perhaps
> someone there can shed more light on why this hack works for some
> keyboards, but not others.

The code inside RAWDOSKEYHACK was originally inserted by myself to allow
for the use of the numpad elements.  I don't remember why those keys
didn't work in the first place, I just knew there was an easy, cheezy way
to fix it.

Later I heard from screen reader people and non-us keyboard people who
said that it screwed them up.  I added RAWDOSKEYHACK so people could turn
it off.

I still don't completely understand the international keyboard situation.
It appears that different keyboards report the same scancode for a given
physical location even if the keys are different.  The computer drivers
are supposed to correctly interpret the key.  Pdcurses is too low level
and makes its own decision about what key you press.  This also hurts
screen readers somehow.