lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Possible Bug

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Possible Bug
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:33:59 +0900 (JST)

> I think we need no lynx.browser.org at stratup by default:

Tend to agree here.

> I propose to exclude STARTFILE: from userdefs.h

I would not particularly favor it's removal from userdefs.h since
having a minimum (<1kB) lynx.cfg file can be an advantage.

> and set it to HELPFILE by default
> unless overwise specified by user in lynx.cfg.
> HELPFILE definitely exist and local (autoconf care of).

HELPFILE is probably a better default than lynx.browser.org,
but "definitely exist and local" is not a safe assumption to make.
For example, on the three machines I work with, HELPFILE is
local on one, reached by nfs on another, and served to the third
by http.  To complicate things, I maintain two sets of HELPFILEs.
Changing the string of STARTFILE to be exactly the same as
HELPFILE would be an easy change requiring no modification of the
code.

Great care needs to be taken when modifying the STARTFILE code
because of the interactions, some security related, with
-anonymous and -verify command line options.  The relationship
with -book is also complex.  (Probably not for you, though!)

> If there is an agreement I may send a patch to TD.

Would prefer that you post patches to the list.  (We'll all try to
look at your code, not the spelling.  Sorry about that.  It would
be nice to see it before it becomes fact, however.)

__Henry