lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX reads "off" from .lynxrc set_cursor=on

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX reads "off" from .lynxrc set_cursor=on
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:02:15 -0500 (EST)

980219 various people discussed & TD summarised:
> > It is an unobvious behavior that, depending on the value of userdefs.h,
> > lynx.cfg and user's lynx.rc, setting some command switches to `on'
> > may mean 'turn on the feature' and may, for the next user, mean
> > 'turn off the feature'. -- (aka 'hostile' as Al notes)
> > It seems to me, from the point of view of someone trying to explain
> > how to use lynx to others, that a more consistent view would be
> > to always have `on' mean 'turn this option on'
> > & `off' mean 'turn this option off'.
> that would be nice (2.9?).

this is very bad behaviour by Lynx, discussed once before (i think).
`on' should mean `on' & `off' should mean `off', ALWAYS.
we don't need special warning messages, tho' they might be nice.
please let's fix it now, not in some future 2-x
(i sympathise with Tom's desire to get 2-8 finished, but ... (smile)).