lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER in PRE

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CENTER in PRE
Date: 25 Feb 1998 11:20:51 -0600

KPW> The following behaviour of lynx (lynx2.7.1 up to ac89, not tested with
KPW> earlier versions) appears in preformatted Texts.

[snip, center inside PRE]

KPW> Lynx doesn't switch back to preformatted text after leaving
KPW> CENTER.  text3 and text4 will appear on the same line.  As I
KPW> know, most of html-commands are allowed in <pre> </pre> and there
KPW> seems to be no exception for CENTER. Netscape 3.++ handels this
KPW> correctly.

Have you tried writing a minimal sample like you gave above and
submitting it to a validator?  My gut feeling is that it is _not_
valid html.  You can put text-level markup like <em> or <strong>
inside <PRE>, but not block-level markup like <P> or <div>, IIRC.

<CENTER> is an alias for <DIV ALIGN=CENTER>, so it isn't surprising
that it doesn't work inside <PRE>.  I could be wrong about this, I
didn't get a chance to test it or to look at the relevant DTDs.

Do the results differ between tag-soup mode and sorta-sgml mode?

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                   (R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |