lynx-dev

2.8pre.2 [was Re: LYNX-DEV ac #117]

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: 2.8pre.2 [was Re: LYNX-DEV ac #117]
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 14:08:38 +0900 (JST)

> well, I did that - let's focus on the things that I missed (or assumed other

Looks very nice.  Thanks again.  (And I was certainly glad to hear
you're only about half done!  Means we have a lot of good stuff to
look forward to.)  Couple of comments from the knit-picker follow.

1) in docs/CHANGES2.8:
   1998-02-28
   [...]
   * remove RELEASE_STATEMENT, merging it into CHANGES as per HN's
                                               ^^^^^^^
   should be "README"

2) after doing a diff -c between lynx.cfg and samples/lynx.cfg, I
   can't see the purpose of the latter.  It's a waste of nearly 80kB.
   I'd recommend removing "samples/lynx.cfg".
   [I would, however, be all in favor of some real-life samples of
   lynx.cfg for post 2.8, which would appropriately be tagged as to their
   use, e.g., "lynxcfg.dos".  Better yet might be a simple collection of
   entries for lynx.cfg.]

3) re: "telnet, tn3270 or rlogin accounts.  Current versions of Lynx run on
   Unix, VMS, Windows95/NT, 386DOS and OS/2 EMX" in README.  i've heard
   some mention of a Mac port (France?).  Can someone summarize the status
   of the "port" and provide a URL to the source?

4) maybe move the "YEAR 2000 COMPLIANCE" (and I applaud the wording of that)
   section to right under the "WHAT IS LYNX?" section.

5) removing the word "useful" as done in the following diff -c might be
   more accurate:
*** INSTALLATION.orig   Tue Mar  3 12:08:24 1998
--- INSTALLATION        Tue Mar  3 12:10:28 1998
***************
*** 228,235 ****

    --enable-internal-links             (define DONT_TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS)
        Disabled by default, this option allows tracking of internal links,
!       a useful feature which could, however, compromise a secure transaction
!       by forcing inappropriate resubmission of form content.

    --enable-nsl-fork                   (define NSL_FORK)
        Use this option to allow NSL requests to be aborted at will.
--- 228,235 ----

    --enable-internal-links             (define DONT_TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS)
        Disabled by default, this option allows tracking of internal links,
!       a feature which could, however, compromise a secure transaction by
!       forcing inappropriate resubmission of form content.

    --enable-nsl-fork                   (define NSL_FORK)
        Use this option to allow NSL requests to be aborted at will.

2-8pre.2 compiles _flawlessly_ on SunOS4.1.3/gcc2.7.2/slang0.99-38 and
Solaris2.6/gcc2.7.2.3/slang1.0.3.

__Henry