lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV help urgently needed

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help urgently needed
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 12:00:41 +0000 (GMT)

> So far nothing I've tried works according to instructions, and none of the
> documentation is sufficiently comprehensible to figure out why.  I need
> some documentation directed to somebody without a networking background,
> something that omits - or at least explains - all the jargon and
> abreviations.

That's not really possible, because, if you don't understand the jargon you
probably don't know enough about the environment in which you are trying to
operate the software to be able to configure it anyway.

Many ISPs now provide preconfigured software which works for them for
direct dial up using well known modems, but they generally only do this
for the popular software configurations, which more and more means Windows
'95 alone.

If you are troubled by DNS, Netmask, IP address, PPP v SLIP, you need to
talk to your service provider.  Unfortunately, if that service provider is
an external company, rather than the network services part of where you work
or study, you may have to pay more to get a provider who understands the
technology rather than just sells it; if it is internal, you may be out of
luck if they don't have the time or expertise to answer your questions.