lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV more about wells fargo, schwab

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more about wells fargo, schwab
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:25:38 -0500 (EST)

980313 Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
>> How does WFB have any assurance Navigator is any safer than Lynx?
> Doesn't: As you pointed out, Navigator runs on multiuser systems, too.
> The point is, you can be sure WFB will have Netscape named
> as a co-defendant in the suit.

i don't want to prolong this rather arabesque debate,
but on what grounds could Netscape be sued?  could even WFB be sued?

my very strong guess is that there is a lot of fine print in the contract
which says that the customer is responsible for (1) the security
of all electronic links between his terminal & WFB's computer
& (2) the reliability of the browser software he is using
& that (3) WFB in limiting the customer to certain browsers
is in no way offering warranty of same.
Netscape, in offering SSL support, will tell its users
that it makes no warranty beyond the reliability of its software
as compiled & supplied, & in particular will not be responsible
for hardware failures, transmission software or the actions of others.

before y'all go round the mulberry bush any more times, check it out.