lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Do SureTrade, e.Schwab, or Wells Fargo Online work with SSL

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Do SureTrade, e.Schwab, or Wells Fargo Online work with SSL?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 12:30:13 +0000 (GMT)

> I can't speak to Schwab or WFO specifically, but Ameritrade works with
> lynxssl (or did in Dec).  Unfortunately, my new ISP hasn't yet added the
> ssl.  <sigh>

Two problems here.  One is that you are not protecting the second most
vulnerable stage of the connection (the most vulnerable is probably the
destination), and the second is that this would be commercial use++,
which would be a breach of the RSAREF licence and/or the RSA patent.
On the first point, I think you would bear all the financial risk in
case of fraud, as they could argue that you were not taking reasonable
precautions.  It would be more honest to request permission to use a
non-SSL connection.

++I think it is unambiguously commercial use.  Any use to access a bank is
commercial use, but it is possible that the copyright owners** have a more
restrictive definition and probable that it would be counterproductive to
sue individuals, but this would be use by the ISP, presumably a commercial
organisation.

**(I can't remember whether it is RSA Data Security Inc, or Public Key Data
Systems who own the patent and copyright, although they are probably related
companies, anyway.)