lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV You'll love "progress"...

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV You'll love "progress"...
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:05:18 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Thu Mar 19 07:29:25 1998
> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 06:44:01 -0500
> From: Webmaster Jim <address@hidden>
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 11:30:11PM -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> > 980317 Filip G wrote:
> > > Geez... I really wonder how much they paid for this page:
> > > http://www.ford.com/us/index2.html
> >
> >  <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"> : should Lynx be trying to read it?
> > but also, all the JS is enclosed in  <---  ---> ,
> > so their hi-tech page is a blank anyway ...
>
> They've designed for java-only, so users with older browsers, or
> text-only connections such as Lynx, are elimianted as viewers.

QUESTIONS re java-only (and) javascript pages:
1: Staying within text-only mode, is there any way
   for lynx to at least SAY what the problem is,
   ie that this is java-only page, or that it has
   java-script on it.
2: If java, how does one download to one's own computer
   the java program so as to run it on one's own appletviewer
   (this question assumes using a "shell account" and thus
   text-only possibility for display while connected to ISP.)?
3: Any other ideas?
4: Is there any way a java-app CAN be "text only", or provide
   the text-only alternative that one can have in HTML?
   (For us to ask sites to use).