lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx code question

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx code question
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:00:25 +0000 (GMT)

> I am an Applications Developer for Moon Communications of Clearwater,
> Florida and have been given the task of writing an application that will
> accept input from a VT100 terminal and send it back to a Web Server via
> a modem connection.
>
> The suggestion has been made to me to look at the Lynx Web Browser for
> ideas on how to do this.

The only sensible way of using Lynx in this context would be to use the
binary, and shell out to it.  For a start, using any of the source code
would make your product subject to the Gnu Licence, which you would want
to thing seriously about, but also, it is too complex for anything except
a general purpose web/ftp/news browser.

From the licence point of view, you may need to start from the CERN version
of LibWWW, not the Lynx derivative of it.  From a complexity point of view,
something like wget may be eaier to read, although HTTP itself is fairly
simple for a minimal browser.  wget is also GPLed.

Of course, if you you are non-commercial, or your primary income is not
from software product sales, you might find that you are comfortable with
the Gnu licence.  (E.g. a company based on support or other services, but
not intellectual property, might have no problems with free distribution
of code they produce.)

> I have received a copy of the Lynx 2.8 source code and was wondering if
> I could get some sort of explanation as to how the code is organized so
> that I may find what I'm looking for faster.

Except for the split between the CERN LibWWW and application bits, I don't
think this is well documented anywhere.  Basically it is C++ code which has
been converted to C for portability then extensively modified in the C form.