lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV caching & \ (was 2.7.2 report)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV caching & \ (was 2.7.2 report)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 02:27:12 -0500 (EST)

980326 Jacob Poon wrote a very long wish-list & Jan Hlavek replied:
> First of all, the newest version is 2.8.  I suggest that you upgrade.

seconded; also, Lynx is developed by an international co-op of volunteers,
so suggestion lists should be kept short,
unless you're prepared to offer your own program patches.

-- very long snip --
>> When toggling between raw HTML and rendered HTML views, it should not
>> reload the page from the original site, if cache is large enough.
> this is quite frequently suggested.
> Is there some reason why lynx loads the document again?

many people have complained about this from time to time:
as far as i can remember, back in the days of the prophets
one of them denounced such behaviour as contrary to the 10 Lynx commandments
(whatever they were (grin)) & no-one felt willing to disagree.
in these more modern times, is there indeed any reason
why Lynx cannot cache the source version of a page obtained by  \ ,
just like any other page, while keeping the rendered version also in cache?
there's always  ^r  to force a re-write.
certainly, i find traditional behaviour a nuisance.