lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Lynx text formatting queries

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx text formatting queries
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:22:18 -0500

Bug/feature?
------------

When a block of unindented, left justified text is displayed, Lynx puts 3
spaces before each line, unless it is enclosed by the heading tags (eg:
<h1>..</h1>).  I have tested both Netscape and Mosaic, and they both put
unindented, left justified, non-heading texts to first column instead of
inserting spaces, for graphical and text versions.  So I doubt if Lynx is
rendering such texts incorrectly by inserting spaces before each line.
Anyway, I think I don't think those spaces should be added at the first
place since they make the rendered document longer, and doesn't improve
visibility.

79 column bug?
--------------

When using 80 column terminals, lynx doesn't render the last column.  I
have heard that have to do with the terminal will be rendered incorrectly,
but I doubt the validity for such reasoning since Pine and Ncftp have been
using the very last column without any display glitches (well, at least no
problems on xterm), so it seems such terminal glitch is a terminal
specific problems instead of lynx source problems.

OL alignment bug?

When I got more than 100 links in an ordered list (eg Lynx bookmark),
further list numbers no longer aligned to the dot, but becomes
left-justified.  In Netscape, number is still aligned to the dot in such
cases.  Maybe there's an internal limit for this?