lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV How do you download from lynx on the road?

From: Mark Mentovai
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How do you download from lynx on the road?
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 17:55:49 -0400 (EDT)

On 7 Apr 1998, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

> J> You're assuming he has a PeePeePee access?
>
> No, he said he did.
>
> If he had a shell account, everything would be copacetic, since he
> would be using ZTerm (this is on a Mac), and could easily use zmodem
> to download files.  The problem is that he has PPP only (no shell
> account), telnets to a public Lynx site using a telnet program with no
> Zmodem or Kermit capabilities, and MacLynx runs too slow on his Mac SE
> (If I've understood all that has been said).
>
> Getting a shell account is probably the best solution in this case; a
> Mac SE isn't good for much else besides being a terminal (and a
> typewriter --- it's a TV typewriter!).

I missed all the beginning of this, so let me try to understand and
help...

What's needed is a telnet program that's capable of doing file transfers.
These are fairly rare, both in the Mac and PC world.  For Macs, I find
that ProTERM does the best job of this (and it has other features which
rock, too) - I use Lynx to surf through a telnet connection and then
download from there using ProTERM's ZModem recieve.

More information about ProTERM is available at http://www.intrec.com/

-Mox

--
Mark Mentovai