lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx & B&S

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx & B&S
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:20:46 -0400 (EDT)

980415 Rick Younie wrote to the Lynx developers' list
& i'm commenting largely for the edification of BuySell:
> Although lynx-dev is a technical list, you might be interested
> in this response from help at the local Buy & Sell newspaper.
> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Tricia Irwin wrote <to BuySell>:
>> I'm not able to login since you've changed, using text browser Lynx.
>> I max out on redirections: Alert! Location URL is not absolute.
> <BuySell replied>:
>> unfortunately our new website does not support text browsers, eg Lynx.

this is not true: i had no difficulty reading your listing of cars for sale,
ie model, year, details, phone number.
the site does not seem to be difficult to navigate with Lynx.

>> It is important that users try and keep reasonably up to date
>> with browser technology in order for companies to be able to provide
>> a better level of service.  you can download the latest version
>> of Netscape -- snip -- , the latest and greatest browser.
Rick Younie responded:
> This is condescending twaddle.

i can only agree, but i would add "very ignorant twaddle":
BuySell is not going to survive long in the tough commercial World
if they turn away potential customers for incorrect reasons;
nor if they try to promote other people's commercial products for free.

> A main feature of Lynx is it is quick over slow links.
> It's fine for browsing your ads,
> I just can't log in to the extended features section.

exactly, just what i said above: Lynx is very fast for text,
which is probably  90 %  of what people actually want to access on the WWW.
Lynx is kept thoro'ly upto date by an international co-op of programmers.
Lynx is also relied on by the blind & altho' we don't have an ADA in Canada,
we do support services for the disabled for valid if less legal reasons.

> The problem is a technical glitch.
> If you don't know what I'm talking about, pass it to someone who does.

it may be simply that the lady wasn't using Lynx 2-8 released 1998.