lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: lynx_w32.zip feedback

From: tailor
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx_w32.zip feedback
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:22:05 -0500 (CDT)

>Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> wrote:
>Wayne and Doug,
>on invoking the W32 Lynx.  However, when I 'd'ownloaded a text file
>(LYMail.c from the dev5 source breakout) and subsequently tried to view
>it with Notepad, it was garbled due to non-recognition of newlines.  I
>went to the MS DOS prompt and opened it with that editor, and it displayed
>OK.  I then Save'd that, and it displayed OK in Notepad too.  This seems
>to mean that Notepad needs CRLF, but the DOS editor doesn't, to recognized
>newlines, and the DOS editor converts LFs to CRLFs on Save's.  Do you have
>any recommendations on how to deal with all this more conveniently when
>trying to view files 'd'ownloaded by Lynx when accessing them via Desktop
>utilities?

First of all, depending on the exact version you downloaded, there was
an _fmode = O_BINARY statement which evolved into a series of _fmode
statements in the latest version, but the overall effect was to make
text transfers look like Unix text.  Removing the _fmode statement has
no effect on how well lynx works in downloading things, but there are
some sites, like this one, that mix Dos and Unix text.  To handle that,
you need an editor like Windows WordPad that can mix the two.

Check my web site listed elsewhere this month for the MINGW32 version
of lynx that works as well under Windows as lynx works under Unix.