Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:40:56 -0400

Michael Warner <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 29, 1998, Heather Stern <address@hidden> wrote:
>       [...]
>> Maybe a better thing would be to have a "render dammit" key which
>> would force an attempt to render the present page.  That way, it's
>> sent like the server said to... but the user can override it AFTER it
>> has arrived.
>        [...]
>On Wed, Apr 29, 1998, Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> wrote:
>        [...]
>>       Lynx does have a force_html mode, for cases in which the user
>> knows that the MIME type based on suffix maps would be wrong, but at
>> present it's only useable as a command line switch (and of course
>> Lynx should not normally override a Content-Type header from an http
>> server).
>        [...]
>I tried the -force_html switch (Lynx Version 2.8pre.3), and it
>doesn't seem to work on this page.  The only other way I've used it,
>which worked, is to view email html attachments that are mis-labeled
>plain/text.  Is the purpose of the switch in fact to override the
>Content-Type header, or is that a misunderstanding, on my part, of its

        It's intended for local files which have been named things like
"My HTML file" instead of "My HTML file.html".  But the code is there
so it would be easy to add a command to reload and override any headers
as well (one also must decide on a command key, from the precious few
that are left, which wouldn't be better saved for something else :).

>[And finally...]
>On Wed, Apr 29, 1998, David Combs <address@hidden> wrote:
>        [...]
>> If other sites are this way, OR if these .htm-files DO read OK in
>> netscape and M$, then lynx probably needs some way to prefix the page
>> with title or whatever is needed to make it parse as html.
>Netscape 3.01 shows me the page un-rendered, same as lynx.

        It's an IEism, and no amount of complaining about it has induced
MicroSoft to change it.

Foteos Macrides (address@hidden)