lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Who do you send Windows 16 diffs to?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Who do you send Windows 16 diffs to?
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 13:21:51 -0400 (EDT)

> >     * From: address@hidden
> >     * Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 21:30:53 -0500 (CDT)
> >
> >I have a make16.bat for doing the makeuctb table to .h file conversion
> >in an 8_3 environment.  Is there someplace to send something like that
> >to?
> >
> >I hope to have a working Windows 16-bit lynx version going sometime in
> >the next month or so, using the portable Dos window.  Since the lynx
> >code should not need specific changes that relate to the Dos window
> >library, but rather changes that involve, e. g., flat-pointer versus
> >huge pointer issues, I expect to have some diffs in that area as well.
>
> I think I'll take back that offer for a make16.bat.  Unfortunately,
> the UCDomap.c code, among others, overwhelms the capacity of the BC4.52
> 16-bit compiler.  It generates table overflows.  I am going to have to dig
> a bit to find a pre-chartrans version of lynx if I am going to port it to
> any 16-bit system.  Pity that the chartrans code was not left as a
> configure option in the latest releases, or you would have been able to
> generate an up-to-date lynx for 16-bit (I mean 3.0 and later) Windows,
> and something quite similar for old-fashioned Dos.
It was originally my intent to be able to configure-out chartrans, but
Klaus (and Fote) both apparently did not agree;  I was told by Klaus
last fall that lynx would no longer work unless chartrans was built with
it.  (If someone wants to investigate making it a configure option, that's
ok with me, but it's not one of the things that I am planning to spend
time on, myself).

It would probably be worth investigating to make the several tables which
must be maintained in parallel for chartrans generated by a script.  That
would facilitate both adding new tables as well as paring it down for
minimal applications.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden