lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev HELP NEEDED FOR COUNTERS AND FORMS

From: Roger Hill
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HELP NEEDED FOR COUNTERS AND FORMS
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:28:42 -0400 (GMT+4)

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, David Woolley wrote:

> Page counters are an inefficient use of network resources; a particularly
> important factor for a country like India, which I believe still has
> relatively poor connectivity.  If you want to know the hit counts (and
> even this can waste resources) you should ensure that your web server
> understands If-Modified-Since requests and that you can mark pages as
> having a zero expiry time (look at Cache-Control: in the the HTTP 1.1
> spec (RFC 2068, I think)), and then request a summary of the server
> logs.

You could also use PHP (www.php.net) and say mysql (www.tcx.se): this is a
server side scripting language, great for doing forms etc, and comes with
a built-in mechaism for doing text-only page counters, plus lots more
besides. Works just fine with Lynx. You would have to get your ISP to
install them for you, however. Both are essentially free.

Roger Hill, P.O.Box 4T, Barbados, West Indies.   E-mail:address@hidden
Tel:246-228-5216/230-9596                           Fax:246-433-8365