lynx-dev

lynx-dev difficult getting Lynx (was Help)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev difficult getting Lynx (was Help)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:20:22 -0400 (EDT)

980619 Zhao Jiankang wrote:
> I am a lynx fan at Beijing University.
> I use lynx under unix.  The OS is SunOS 5.6.

good to hear the news about Lynx is spreading far & wide.

> Last winter a friend helped me install lynx under my home directory.
> It worked very well until recently it often dies out under a webpage
> and the unix prompt pops out and the system is halted.
> I guess there must a serious bug in it.
> My lynx version is as follows: Lynx/2.7 libwww-FM/2.14

probably not a problem with Lynx, but with bad HTML:
2-8 is much better at handling such sites than 2-7
& no-one is likely to try to sort out 2-7 bugs anyway,
so you should definitely upgrade to 2-8.

> My friend mailed its binary file and  lynx.cfg  to me
> because I am denied access to ftp utilities on the unix system.
> We also cannot use floppy disks.  I want to upgrade to 2.8,
> but I have no way to do it except you mail its binary to me.
> We also don't have any decompressor utilities.
> Don't expect the superuser to install it for me
> because people open accounts with this Unix primarily for email.
> Few know of the cool browser lynx.

others may be able to offer more precise advice, but here's a start.
you can find binaries at  www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/binaries.html ;
you don't need FTP to get them, but there is a free service in Ireland
which allows people to have HTTP files sent by e-mail if you need that:
goto  www.ucc.ie/webmail/webmail.html .
the source for 2-8 is at  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ ,
but to use that you need to be able to decompress files:
you may be able to find decompression utilities among freeware.

other volunteers at lynx-dev may be able to fill in some of this,
but see how far you can get & ask again here as precisely as you can.