lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx386 and ISB

From: Klaus Peter Wegge
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx386 and ISB
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:49:27 +0200 (MET DST)

> On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Klaus Peter Wegge wrote:
>
> > This is done by the Internet SwitchBox Nexland ISB100, which
> > does the IP-masquerating and serves as a gateway.
> > It dials in, if some machine addresse an IP outside the LAN,
> > hangsup when no traffic for some time and redials...
> > In my configuration, the machines in the LAN have fix IP's.
>                                                     ^^^
> > It works very fine with the usual networking software of windowsxxx,
> > Linux ...
> > The only problem occurs with lynx386 compiled with DJGPP. I tested
> > Starting lynx with a startpage outside is successful:
> > The ppp-connection is started and browsing the world is no problem.
> > Waiting some time (teatime) the ppp conection is closed.
> > Selecting a link which needs again internetaccess,
> > no redial is done.
> > "looking up ...." is the message.
> > Typing in a URL like:
> > telnet://xxx.jjj.kkk.lll
> > leads to an redial, but lynx never finds the nameserver again.
>
> This is a stab in the dark, since I have never worked with such a
> system.
It's a realy fine thing. Inserting the Box in the LAN like an
ordinary machine, all machines have even concurrent access to the
internet via a normal PPP line. (Of course, the line is the
bottle neck.)
The dynamic IP you will get from the ISP is mapped to
IP's realy local to the LAN (and vise versa).
You may give your local machines a static (local) IP). A DHCP-server
is also available but I disabled this one.
The local IPs are invisuable from outside.
For the ISP this LAN looks like a single machine (perhaps with a lot of
traffic!).
> When you say the IP address of each machine on the LAN is fixed,
> are you talking about an internal IP address or the IP address that the
> ISP assigns when you call in. If the ISP is assigning an IP number to
> the PPP connection dynamically, this changes each time the connection
> is redialed.
Right. The ISB does the mapping of the new one automatically!
The IP, assigned by the ISP, is not visible inside the LAN.
The local static IP of the ISB is the gateway.
> Does the IP masquerading take care of this, or does the IP
> number for the "myip=" line in WATTCP.CFG change each time you call.
There are fix entries of myip, gateway ...
The whole wattcp.cfg File is static!
And it works fine until the first redial.

# wattcp.cfg of KPW
# static IP
my_ip=131.234.81.7
# nameserver of the ISP
nameserver=195.180.187.1
# netmask for the LAN
netmask=255.255.255.0
hostname=herford
# gateway of the LAN is the static IP of the switch box
gateway=131.234.81.2
mailserver=
address@hidden
# end of wattcp.cfg of KPW

It looks like lynx doesn't get contact to the nameserver again,
because a request with an IP-number is done correctly.
The behaviour is the same when leaving lynx and starting again.
Debugging and tracing didn't give me an idea upto now.
Starting netscape in win95 on the same machine has not the problem.
That makes me mad!
What's realy different in the behavior of netscape/win95 and
lynx/DOS from the view of TCP/IP.

Ideas are very welcome.

Klaus-Peter