lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev caching after \ (was why reload etc?)

From: David Henderson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev caching after \ (was why reload etc?)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:39:48 -0500 (CDT)

>(1) should Lynx cache ALL source files?
>    -- there seems to be strong feeling by users with limited resources
>    that this would not be useful enough to justify the load involved;

>(2) should Lynx cache JUST THOSE source files obtained by  \ ?
>    -- some of us believe this would indeed be very useful
>    when trying to track down what's wrong with someone's bad HTML
>    & would not happen often enough to overload anyone's system.

Actually, these are the same question, just two (of the three) different
answers to the question:  "How much source do you cache: None, only when
asked to, or all?"  I believe a strong case could be made for each of
these under certain circumstances.

   The best solution that will make *everybody* happy would be to have a
   compile-time option (userdefs.h or similar) to either cache or not.

One of the strong suits of Lynx is flexibility:  it can parse comments in
one of three ways, it can interpret HTML in one of two major ways, it can
be used noninteractively to get -or- post data.  Colors?  Yes if you want
it, no if you don't.  Multi-bookmarks?  Yes if you want it, no if you
don't.  DIRED?  Yes if you want it, no if you don't.  Ad infinitum, ad
nauseum, ad lib, ad hoc, ad vertise, et cetera.

>(3) how should Lynx internally name such cached files?

If cacheing is used,

   view-source:http://www.location.dom/page.html

allows (1) independent cacheing from the rendered page, (2) ease of human
recognition of what the page's actual URL is, and (3) compatibility with
some designed-for-Netscape sites that have actual "view-source:" HREF-type
links.  And if for some reason you want to bookmark a view-source'd page,
you've got a URL for it.

David Henderson
--
Star Trek?  Psi Phi!  Visit http://www.psiphi.org/ for the latest news
and rumors about "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager"