lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 05:19:58 -0400 (EDT)

> > > Well, what should I do?  Am using shell acct on netcom, which uses
> > > sparc and sunos 4.x.
> > >
> > > I myself use sparcstation, with solaris 5.1.  Sun is sun is sun, no?
>
> Wonder if the annoying problem I've always had is related.  I "Telnet"
> (MSDOS) or "Teraterm" to a SunOS4.1.3 or Solaris2.6 box from my PC.  No
> problem with rendering of Japanese.  But then, from my account there I
> /usr/ucb/telnet to an account on another Sun box, and suddenly Japanese
> is completely jumbled.  The same thing happens when I telnet from either
> a Linux or FreeBSD console to a Sun box (similar to your situation?).
perhaps something is getting set/reset by the alternate-character-set
controls embedded in the termcap/terminfo description.  I haven't studied
teraterm (yet), but I'm aware that kterm is implemented with a problem
that causes it to misinterpret the vt100 & vt220 font-switching controls.
(Something to do with the MBCS support - I'm not familiar with the related
standards so I don't know if they conflict, or if this is simply a bug in
kterm).

Also (though it's not supposed to ;-), some telnet programs do interpret and
modify the character stream, so a terminal description that works on one
platform may not work if you're rlogin'd from another (I ran into this with
Solaris 2.4).

> > > Term on both computers is "sun".
>
> The emulation of the telnet clients in all my cases is essentially vt100,
> and the TERM entry for the Sun or Solaris accounts is again essentially
> vt100.  The Linux box uses a "linux" console.  I don't understand the
> FreeBSD console (it's a version specific to NEC PC98 notebooks); sorry.
Linux's alternate character set is incompatible with vt100/vt220, so you'd
also run into problems here.  (It relies on 8-bit characters).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden