lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev [QUESTIO:] lynx -error_file= option.

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev [QUESTIO:] lynx -error_file= option.
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:24:22 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Leif Ericksen said:

> the context that I am using is as thus...
>
> lynx -dump -auth=id:p/w http://address.
>
> Big Brother uses that to determine if the page works or not by looking
> for numeric codes that are returned.  However, -dump does not do that.
> How can I set lynx up so that I can have the information returned to
> standardout or the Big Brother program itself.

You may want to see what you can get using the -head parameter in
addition to -dump.  A HEAD request will tell you if the server is
unreachable or the URL is invalid.  This might let you hack the
current approach into operation.

On the other hand, the conventional wisdom as I understand it is
not to use Lynx for this sort of a monitoring robot.

Is the best practice to use one of the routines in wwwLib?  wget?

Al