lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Kermit (was improving document'n)

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Kermit (was improving document'n)
Date: 03 Aug 1998 10:42:25 -0600

DK> On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

>> yes, i tested it on www.lemonde.fr/ & it shows accented letters
>> according to DOS codepage 437, which for `e acute' gives `i'
>> (7-bit) or `theta' (8-bit).  this is what i end up with when i
>> download such a file to my PC: is there any way of getting such
>> letters corrected in downloading?

DK> There is always the GNU program recode, which has been ported to
DK> DOS.  This converts from almost any character set to the character
DK> set of your choice. Translation may be approximate if the
DK> character doesn't exist in the new character set.

C-Kermit always converts codepages when doing ascii-mode downloads; I
assume MS-Kermit is the same.  So just set your local and remote
character sets to the appropriate values, set the transfer mode to
ascii, and download.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |