lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: SUGGESTION: New feature for LYNX

From: Al Gilman
Subject: lynx-dev Re: SUGGESTION: New feature for LYNX
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 18:59:02 -0400 (EDT)

Lynx will already honor user:address@hidden in URLs.

You are strongly urged not to leave these lying around unless you
are truly compulsive about the file protections for for your
bookmark files.  See the new RFC on generic syntax for URIs, for
example.

Best practice is to put the username in the URL without a
password, and Lynx will query you interactively for the password.
This works for HTTP basic security and for ftp.

Best address for further correspondence is <address@hidden>.

Best,

Al Gilman

to follow up on what Frank Altpeter - IS Internet Services said:
> From address@hidden  Wed Aug  5 11:53:06 1998
> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 12:47:49 +0200
> From: Frank Altpeter - IS Internet Services <address@hidden>
> To: LYNX Maintainers <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: SUGGESTION: New feature for LYNX
> Sender: address@hidden

> Hi there !
>
> I have a suggestion for further lynx versions.
> It affects the authorization on password secured sites, where lynx asks for
> username and password after 'Alert!: Access without authorization denied --
> retrying'.
>
> I know, there is the feature to log in by setting -auth=user:password, but if
> there are more than one site with authentification and with different
> usernames and passwords, there is a little problem. I have to restart lynx
> with different -auth commandline.
> In Netscape, i can define a bookmark link as http://username:address@hidden/
> Perhaps you can implement that feature in lynx, too ?
> I think it would be great if you can do that, since it makes bookmarking with
> passworded sites much easier.
>
> Please answer me your decision.
>
> If this is not the correct adress for suggestions, please forward my mail to
> the correct target.
>
> Greetings
>       Frank Altpeter
>
> --
> ".sig 1-.sig 3 were sabotaged during editing. .sig 4 disappeared
> 24 hours completion. .sig 5 was our last best hope for peace. It
> failed. In the year of the Editor War...."
>       -- Ron Peterson

[application/pgp-signature is not supported, skipping...]