lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev <BR> does not accumulate

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev <BR> does not accumulate
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:59:58 -0400 (EDT)

<sermonette warning>

I haven't studied the full HTML 4 specification well enough to
take a position as to whether HTML 4 really mandates the omission
of a whitespace line on encountering <BR><BR>.  The language I
quoted appears to allow Fote's implementation.

I agree with Philip that Lynx should not follow the consensus
documents slavishly, but seek common sense answers.

In this case, common sense dictates that you can't please all
of the people all of the time.  In other words, working with
a fixed-pitch character grid, either including a whitespace
line or excluding a whitespace line will displease some people
for some texts.  There is no ideal choice, here.  Just cutting
one's losses.

Working with a 24-line screen, there are common-sense reasons
for conserving vertical space and eliding excess whitespace
on encountering repeated <BR> elements.

I can testify from my involvement in the closing days of HTML 4
development that Fote's implementation complies with but is not
dictated by the spirit of HTML 4.  There was a strong desire to
define structure topologically in HTML and reserve layout to
CSS2, with style defaults supplied by the browser when there is
no explicit stylesheet invoked.  So the spirit of HTML 4 is: it's
up to us to decide what makes sense.

Personally, I use the deprecated &nbsp; in <BR>&nbsp;<BR> when I
want to force Lynx to leave a vertical whitespace.  This renders
consistently in Lynx and other browsers, so I don't need to
rewrite either Lynx or HTML to get a blank line when I really
want it.

Al