lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev New <BR> collapsing patch
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:20:45 +0100 (BST)

>   for keeping current behaviour as default: yourself, LV, MW, NHE (4);
>   for not collapsing <BR><BR> by default: AG, DH, JM, DW, me (5).

I'm probably a don't know at the moment and if anything was more in
the first camp.

> you made a distinction `document structure vs page layout'
> & JM distinguished `procedural/structural mark-up systems',
> which i may understand (are they the same distinction BTW?),
> but if you believe more than a very tiny minority of document authors
> have the slightest knowledge of or interest in such things,

Generally, documents which are designed purely for page layout are
always going to be a mess in Lynx and I would rather people use GUI
tools for them than have Lynx make the best of a bad job.

Moreover, one shouldn't target HTML 4 if one believes that and certainly
not pure HTML 4.  HTML 3.2 would be a more realistic target.  HTML 4,
if anything, represents an attempt to claw back some semblance of
structure, and in particular, style sheets allow the best of both worlds
(but can't handle BR sensibly).

My suspicion is that MS probably reckon to have exhausted the vanity
publishing market and are now aiming at the more professional end of
the DP market, particularly things like eletronic data interchange,
where structure is important.  If that's true, there is a danger is
in danger of following the vanity publishing line just as the GUI one
rebound towards real structure.