lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx: bookmarks: add today's date to entry.

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx: bookmarks: add today's date to entry.
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 22:35:41 -0700

On Mon, Aug 17, 1998, David Combs <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: Michael Warner <address@hidden>
> > I don't know that I'd have much use for it, but how about
> > sticking the date in a "title" attribute in the anchor?  As
> > far as I can tell, the title attribute can be used for
> > more-or-less arbitrary information about the URL.
> >
> > The format for a line in the bookmark file would become:
> >
> > <LI><A href="where-ever" title="19980815">Anchor Text</a>
> >
> > (format == `date +%Y%m%d`)

        [...]

> PREpended, for sorting; of course that's maybe what the "format"
> specifies; don't know how to interpret it) to

That's just a (unix) command that gets the current date as:  YYYYMMDD.
Figured that was the most useful for sorting.  As far as the
sorting itself, I guess you could use double-quote (") as a
field separator, primary sort on the second field for the URL,
secondary sort on the fourth field for the date.  Or something.
I've not much experience with 'sort'.

        [...]

> I mean, it is supposed to be AUTOMATIC, no?  The user who
> has chosen this date-OPTION surely doesn't want to SEE the
> darn thing each time, right.  That's the whole idea of
> making it automatic -- no human interaction needed, not
> even impinging on the eyes.

All you'd see would be 'Anchor Text' - same as now.  The
'title="..."' would only be seen if you edit the bookmark
file by hand.  Or, I guess, if you used the file with a
graphical browser, you'd see see the date as a "tool-tip" on
"mouseover", or whatever the correct lingo is.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>