lynx-dev Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:44:17 -0400

I've created a version of Lynx with GNU gettext hooks. Thanks to David
Trueman, and Chris Maxwell, of CSuite Networking Coop Ltd, and Karl
Eichwalder (for hello), I've managed a least a working prototype.
The main improvement over the CSuite version is that this one uses a
configure script. The first cut is available via ftp:

To enable gettext, do "configure --with-included-gettext"

Known bugs:

*) the LOCALE directory is hard-coded.  I haven't been able to figure
   a way to discover it and pass it through configure to the right place.
*) The code works on my NetBSD system, but not on the SLCC Solaris box.
   It compiles; just doesn't give international text.
*) I've just got a few language files with demo text.  This text is
   for the lynx -version switch (see below).
*) The "foreign" languages were faked from babelfish.  Sorry...
*) The makefile rules need review.  I have modified the target directory
   to be lynx2-8-1-dev21-intl, since that is what I am hacking on.  I
   intend to submit patches to Tom Dickey once some other systems are
   working.  This probably should go to Lynx2-8-2 since it will require
   major code updates.
*) I know dev22 is out, plus patches (this one goes to 11).
*) I'm using gettext() rather than _() since the latter gives a warning
   under BSD.
*) "make tar" leaves config.cache, config.log and config.status as
   well as makefile in the top directory.  Remove them before you run

References GNU international hello GNU international hello

Op Cit

22:40:02/jim> ./lynx -version

Lynx Version 2.8.1dev.21 (1998)
Copyrights held by the University of Kansas, CERN, and other contributors.
Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
See and the online help for more information.

22:40:12/jim> export LANG=de
22:40:20/jim> ./lynx -version

Lynx Programmversion 2.8.1dev.21 (1998)
Copyright hielt durch die Universität von Kansas, von CERN und von anderen
Mitwirkenden an.
Verteilt unter die GNU-Öffentlichkeit Lizenz
Sehen Sie / und die On-line Hilfe zu mehr Information.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.