lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1 release

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1 release
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 20:20:18 -0400 (EDT)

980831 Laura Eaves wrote:
> From: Philip Webb <address@hidden>
>>> 2) If not, when will 2-8-1 be out?
>> my guess would be a couple of months,
>> since there have been many recent additions which need fully testing.
> I think it would be good to put one out sooner.
> It is not necessary to use some of the shakier features
> (such as forms options and whatever else).
> What features are you worried about?

obviously, the shakier ones (smile).

> I think it is more important to get a bugfix release out for 2.8
> than spend 2 months adding new features.
> Why not limit dev25 to bugfixes and put it
> out as the new release sooner (say mabe next week)?

it looks to me as if the pending 2-8-1 has suddenly got overtaken
by a couple of large improvements which aren't working properly yet:
there's forms options & info pages layout (SKY) at least.
dev.23 had a nasty little bug in it which suggests excessive haste
(no criticism of our patient co-ordinator).

a RELEASE should be an event & we should be confident it's bug-free.
how about releasing dev.22 or dev.21 as 2-8-1 --
or some bug-fixed version of some such earlier version
from before the shakier features started being added --
& renumbering dev.24 = 2-8-2dev.1 ?

my vote is for a little more care, esp re the newer features.
it's really TD's to decide, since he's on top of everything.